Hi everyone. Kieran and I just wanted to let you know how things are going. I was admitted to the hospital (Swedish med center) last night at 6:30. The nurse evaluated me and determined that I was not dilated yet. She then started the prostin, a gel-like looking suppository that she inserted near my cervix to help it soften/dilate. She gave me the first dose at 8 last night, while monitoring the baby's heartbeat and my contractions.The baby's heartbeat had a "dip" in a spot that the nurse didn't like, so she kept the monitor on longer. She ended up keeping it on me the whole night b/c she saw another dip. No big deal though and baby looks good.
The nurse checked me at ten last night and said that I was about 1 cm dilated..yay! It's a start, considering I'm 41 weeks. Then about 1:30 am my water broke on its own and so they stopped the prostin at that point. Then they started the Pitocin sometime later and let me tell you that they weren't kidding when they said the contractions will come strong and close together. Kieran and I are practicing our breathing techniques, so that has been helping.
The doctor just came in and said that I'm still only one cm dilated, but am about 70% effaced. She put an internal monitor on me to get a better measurement of just how strong my contractions are. She's also worried about these "dips" the baby is having in it's heartbeats.
The nurse just did another exam and I'm only dilated 1.5 cm (930AM my time). They took me off of Pitocin b/c my contractions were too strong and too close together. The baby's dips decreased too, so that's good. My body kind of just "took over", so I didn't need the Pitocin anymore. However, now it's 10am and they put me back on it b/c my contractions are getting too spaced out. They have this internal monitor inside of me and my contractions are pretty strong and painful. The nurse said I should be further along in regards to dilation. The doctor is coming in two hours to see if I made more progress, if not, she may want to do a C-section or wait til the end of the day to see what happens.
The nurses have been great as well as Kieran. He stayed overnight with me, massaged my feet, basically was at my every beckon call. He's such a sweetheart!! Kieran's mom is here as well and has been such a great help. Oh, they also have me on an IV and so I'm pretty much laid up in bed.
Well, that's about it for now. I'm doing well and hanging in there. I'm just chilling out in bed right now waiting for those painful contractions. I am a bit sleep deprived too. The cramps/contractions kept me up last night so I couldn't sleep. I took a sleeping pill, which helped for a couple of hours or so.
Hopefully baby will arrive today or whenever it's meant to. We're very excited and are still working on the names!haha. We'll send out more emails/pics later. Say a prayer for us.
Love,
Patsy and Kieran
No comments:
Post a Comment