Hi everyone! Here's an update and links to pictures and videos taken over the last few months:
http://babyisabellaclaire.shutterfly.com/#editPictures:albumId=12863
Since the beginning of November, Rowan's straining has hit ROCK bottom. I was ready to take him to the E.R. one night. Really bad. Up til the point, he was weaned from the middle of the morning feeding. However, I gave in and fed him (even though he wasn't up b/c he was hungry),but he wasn't interested. It took some convincing and he did take some. He eventually fell asleep from pure exhaustion. Poor baby. I've been up at ALL hours trying to walk him around, distract him from straining, etc and sometimes he'll go back to sleep and sometimes he'll be up for hours.
We've seen a Chiropractor who specializes in Neurology and he suggested that I go on a milk and gluten free diet. I did it for four days and I was miserable. I was hungry all the time, losing weight fast, my milk supply was diminishing and I just felt it wasn't the right path right now. I was not informed, either, that the supplements that we on their way was supposed to help me with this constant hunger. Well, Rowan had another ROUGH night during this and I decided we needed to take the medical route to ensure he's okay inside. I need to exhaust all my medical options first and foremost and that's where we'll go from here.
I decided to call the Pediatrician and do the Barium Enema and X-Ray and it came back normal thank goodness. We had it done at Children's Hospital in Aurora. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be either. It took a matter of a few minutes to insert the tube in his rectum and to insert the contrast into his colon. He cried some here and there, but it wasn't as bad as his straining cries. I was there with him too to comfort him.
The results came back normal and the Pediatrician suggested to wait it out and not do anything further. I quickly knocked that out of the water. I'm sick of waiting for him to get better. I need help now. So, he suggested going back to the GI pediatric specialist. He also said that Rowan's colon was a bit large b/c of backed up stool, but didn't seem worried. Really?!
So I saw the GI doctor and he still sticking to his original story and that is Rowan is just not coordinated in stooling yet (dyschesia). However, he suggested to use suppositories every other day twice a day for a couple of weeks. He said usually this helps the baby to push out the stool on its own. Well, we did just that and I did not see any improvement. Yes, it helped to get the poop out at that moment using the suppositories, but it didn't help Rowan go on his own. Rowan still needed to be manually stimulated to poop and I needed to wiggle the suppository or else it would either not work or take forever to work. What was weird, too, was that the suppository came out as it went it: in solid form.
Anyways, during the month of November, we all took a trip to AZ for Thanksgiving with Kieran's family. It took us forever to get there (with two kids, one a nursing baby...def a long time!). We stopped overnight to rest thank God. We also got a chance to see our friend Joe and Ellen Duhon in Willcox, AZ. It was wonderful to see them after a few years. We had a great time though in AZ with Kieran's family. It was fun for the kiddos as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment