Woah, Rowan is a half of a year old already (on Thanksgiving!). So crazy and so much fun to say the least! Bella continues to be a great big sister. She'll tell me when Rowan is hungry, when he's crying, etc. She's like a little mommy! I love it!! Rowan weighed 14# 6 oz on Dec. 2. 2010.
Rowan's straining is still present and, after speaking to the specialist in regard to what to do next since the suppositories didn't work as the doctor had hoped, he suggested doing a biopsy to test for the presence or absence of ganglion cells in the lower portion of the colon. Without them there, the intestines don't know enough to move the stool along. Instead the stool just sits there and backs up. Anyways, it can be a fatal condition (Hirschsprung's Disease-HD) if not caught early enough, so the doctor didn't want to put this off.
The procedure was traumatic (Dec. 1). I was able to go back into the procedure room thankfully ( I wasn't told this over the phone setting up the appointment though, so I brought Bella with me. Luckily, a nurse babysat Bella and watched movies with her while I went back with Rowan. Kieran wasn't able to be there with me this time. He did come with me for the enema.). The first time the doctor inserted this tube the thickness of my pinky finger (and very long), Rowan and I didn't even know it was happening. I thought "oh good, really quick!" The doctor told me it usually (operative word) goes really quickly, but Rowan was the exception to the rule.
It took the doctor severallll attempts to get another tissue sample--I'd say three more times at least. Rowan was wailing, even though I was told that Rowan wouldn't feel anything. I was trying to comfort him as best as I can and trying to hold it together myself. I was just happy to be there with him. I felt so bad for him. It was horrible to watch. The doctor said that Rowan's colon is "posterior" and that's why it was so hard to get more tissue samples. With the last attempt (and trust me this was going to be the last--the doctor really wanted three samples, but took the two and said that's enough), some blood came out with it as well. As soon as the doctor was done, I picked up Rowan and he calmed down quickly thank God. He was really fussy afterward for a few hours because he needed to poop and couldn't. We stayed there for a couple of hours just to make sure everything was fine. I was hoping that Rowan would poop there just in case he bled, but he didn't poop until we got home a while later.
The next day, the GI doc called and said the results came back normal. Yay! However, still many unanswered questions. He said to use Milk of Magnesia now, one tsp twice a day for a couple of weeks. He said usually this will help to stimulate the colon to push out the poop.
Anyways, it took about a week or so to notice results from the medicine. It isn't the solution, but it helps Rowan to get his poop out faster with less straining. The straining is still there; it's just not as intense as it was before--I'll take it. He still gets up twice mid morning, though, and we just feed him as always. It helps to get him back to sleep without hassle most of the time. Rowan would still have an intense straining spell here and there. We just try to comfort him, feed him or distract him somehow or another. It usually will work.
We visited my family this year for Christmas and it was much needed. I was able to take naps and had so much help. It was great! Bella, Rowan and I were there for 3.5 weeks and it was nice to see everyone again. Bella had a ton of fun playing with Mia and Keegan and we were so excited to see baby Noah finally! Such a cutie pie! We all stayed at my parent's house and, yes, we all survived! lol. It was chaotic and fun with all the kids running around, but that's what life is all about--having a good time!!
It was a bit chaotic trying to juggle two kids and our bags boarding the plane to and fro. Kieran helped me to the gate thankfully and people helped me once I boarded the plane. On the way home, a couple helped me with checking my luggage, helped me through security and people, once again, helped or offered to help when boarding. The kids did well on the plane. Rowan had a tiny straining spell at the end, but, otherwise, did very well considering. I even got compliments from passengers as to how well Rowan and Bella did. YAY! Thank God for thoughtful people, though. Marti and Tom Carroll were so kind to let us stay at their place with Cathy and Josh and the kids and even took us to the airport. They spoiled us as always. Great food, great times, great people. We all spent NYE at the beach house and had a great time as always. We left CO for PA on Dec. 12 (during my stay I tried to get a second opinion back home, but couldn't get an appointment in my time frame) and left PA for CO on Jan.5. Cathy, Josh and the kids left at the same time as well. It was great to spend all that time with family, something I miss living way out here....
No comments:
Post a Comment